Taking Care of Grey Hair
with purple shampoo
How to Care for Grey Hair
Grey hair, Gray hair, Silver hair, White hair. Call it what you want, it’s all the beautiful result of ditching the dye…or never giving into it in the first place. You’ve managed the transition, but now what?
A recent study in partnership with a Psychology Professor from Yale University, Dr. Marianne LaFrance, revealed that greying hair can be a top barrier that women face in having more great hair days. This does not have to be the case. A few simple changes to your hair routine can be all you need to love your new locks.
Here are a few GREY HAIR GUIDELINES to reveal your hair’s natural radiance:
Grey hair needs help to neutralize yellow tones
• FACT: Grey hair is more susceptible to yellowing than pigmented hair. Grey hair lacks the pigments which mask yellowing that happens as residue builds up on hair. Residue - like from pollutants in the air - shifts the color your hair reflects to a yellower hue.
• TIP: Switch your shampoo to Pantene’s Silver Expressions Shampoo. The classic purple shampoo is back and is available here. The paraben-free, silicone-free, toning shampoo brightens silver hair by reducing dullness and eliminating brassy tones.
Grey hair needs more UV protection than pigmented hair
• FACT: Unlike pigmented hair that is protected from UV damage by the pigments, grey hair lacks a built-in UV defence system. This leaves the proteins in grey hair more exposed to UV stress, which can lead to weakened hair (UV light breaks down hair’s protein bonds).
• TIP #1: Use conditioning treatments like Pantene’s Repair & Protect 3 Minute Miracle Conditioner that contain the active antioxidant, histidine. This antioxidant has been proven to protect hair’s proteins by reducing oxidative stress from UV exposure. Be sure to apply the conditioner along the lengths of hair that see most sun.
• TIP #2: When you change your hair is also a good time to change up your overall style and wear more hats to protect your hair from the sun!
Add steps to tame wiry hair
• FACT: While the greying process does not appear to cause hair to become wiry, studies have shown that it is absolutely natural for hair’s texture to change around the time that hair’s color changes. The upside - more texture can help hair look and feel fuller. The downside – grey hair can be harder to manage.
• TIP #1: A quick spritz of hairspray can smooth down wiry flyaways. We love Pantene’s Smooth Airspray, which is an alcohol-free hairspray for a soft & flexible hold that won’t leave hair feeling dried out or stiff.
• TIP #2: Heat-styling, like curling irons or flat irons, can help tame wiry hair. Beat the heat by misting hair with a heat protectant spray just before you use the iron. Pantene’s Thermal Heat Protect Spray is a pre-styling spray that helps protect hair up to 450°F.
• TIP #3: Your hair may be more wiry just because it doesn’t have enough moisture. This can happen as our natural oil production slows over time. If you find that your face is much drier than it used to be, your scalp and hair may be too. Try adding in a deep moisturizing treatment into your weekly hair routine to see if this rinses away the problem.
You’ve done the growing, with a few simple updates to your routine, your grey hair days to be glowing!
5 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT PANTENE SILVER EXPRESSIONS PURPLE SHAMPOO
We’ve heard you, and we are bringing Pantene’s Silver Expressions Purple Shampoo back! Here are a few answers to questions you may have about Silver Expressions:
1. The paraben-free, silicone-free, purple shampoo will brighten up your silver hair. It is a lightweight, toning formula that reduces dullness & eliminates brassy tones without weighing hair down.
2. Why it is a purple shampoo? It goes back to color theory. Purple is opposite yellow on the color wheel, which means they are complementary colors that combine to form neutral shades of grey. So, if you have too much yellow, adding purple will get you back to neutral.
3. It can be used as your regular shampoo. Swap out your current shampoo for Pantene Silver Expressions Shampoo. To use it - simply massage it into damp hair, making sure you hit the brassiest areas. Then rinse. It’s best to follow with a conditioner to get to a smooth and shiny look.
4. Using it regularly will not make hair purple. Pantene’s Silver Expressions shampoo is a toning shampoo, not a color-depositing shampoo. It deposits what is needed but not more, revealing brightened silver from what was dull grey. It has been tested for use as often as daily, so use it as often as you like.
5. It can be used on hair that was colored gray, too. The formula is color-safe even though the shampoo was created for women wanting to show off their natural grey color. So, if you’ve taken the express route to silver locks, this will work for your chemically-treated hair too.